You are here
Bandleaders meet with minister
Disgruntled bandleaders remain hopeful, after a meeting with Minister of the Arts Winston Peters yesterday. The meeting was the result of a protest outside of the Ministry’s Frederick Street office, where bandleaders voiced their concerned over decisions made by the board of the National Carnival Bandleaders Association (NCBA). In a meeting on Thursday night, NCBA chairman David Lopez proposed changes to the parade route, introduced registration fees, and proposed changes in the direction of crossing the stage. After voicing their concerns, members walked out of the meeting, clearly not in agreement with the proposals. According to Mike Antoine “Big Mike,” of Legacy, Peters had assured the bandleaders that he would look into the situation.
Antoine said bandleaders just wanted things to return to some normalcy so that the country could enjoy Carnival 2012. “He told us he knew nothing about the changes,” he said. “He called the mayor’s office and they said they knew nothing of the changes, and the NCBA said it wasn’t their decision.” Antoine said members were prepared to meet with the board again and were hopeful that the NCBA would reconsider the changes proposed. He said reiterated that the decisions had been made without consultation of the members.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.