You are here
Subhas back in court after losing ministry
One week after he lost his Cabinet post, former Minister in the Ministry of National Security Subhas Panday made his first court appearance yesterday in a matter in the San Fernando Magistrates’ Court. Panday resumed his San Fernando law practice last week after he lost his ministerial portfolio in a Cabinet reshuffle by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar. Yesterday, he represented 24-year-old Howill Junior Pooran who is before Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark Wellington in the First Court on eight counts of larceny. Panday was welcomed by fellow attorneys who shook his hand and slapped him on the back as they shared a hearty joke in the courtroom. Wellington also acknowledged Panday’s return to the court. His client, of SS Erin Road, Duncan Village, La Romaine, was arrested by members of the San Fernando Fraud Squad, including Sgt Kent Ghishwayan, Sgt Dexter Richardson, Cpl Popan, Lutchman and Basarath.
PC Shane Ramdath and WPC Lively charged Pooran, the owner of Pooran’s Tyre Shop, with the eight offences allegedly committed between July and December last year at various locations. Panday, who appeared for Pooran along with attorney Shaun Tikasingh, applied for bail. He explained that the charges against his client arose out of situations where Pooran allegedly took money from the victims for articles he was unable to obtain. “He (Pooran) has commenced repayment of these monies,” Panday said.
Prosecutor Ramdath Phillip said he was unaware of any repayments being made by Pooran and objected to bail on the grounds that the accused has 12 pending matters of a similar nature and was on bail when he was arrested for the eight offences. Panday appeared taken aback by the number of offences Pooran had pending as he said: “I am in the court’s hands.” Wellington did not grant bail and advised Pooran of his right to apply to a judge in chambers. Pooran is due to appear in the Port-of-Spain, Siparia and Couva Magistrates’ Court over the next few days. He will return to the San Fernando First Court on July 19.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.