You are here
No new death penalty campaign for Warner
New National Security Minister Jack Warner says he will not lead a fresh death penalty campaign to ensure the death penalty is carried out in T&T. Warner said so during a brief handing over ceremony on Wednesday at the Ministry of National Security, Abercromby Street, Port-of-Spain. Last year, Warner staged a one-day public campaign in support of the re-introduction of the death penalty. He did not get the support of most Cabinet ministers in that campaign. Earlier in the morning, Warner met and wished the new Minister of Works and Infrastructure, Emmanuel George, the best. That exercise took place at the Ministry of Works and Transport, Port-of-Spain.
George was the former Minister of Public Utilities. He also served previously as permanent secretary in the then Ministry of Works and Transport. Warner said he was confident George would do a good job. George in turn said he was prepared to put his best forward in the new ministry. He said he was “accustomed to working hard and I will give this assignment my best shot.” George said the Public Utilities Minister was still quite formidable, even without WASA. “There are still some substantial institutions that have remained there and they will be a challenge to the minister,” he added. Former community development minister Nizam Baksh is the new Minister of Public Utilities.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.