You are here

Kamla: PNM out to get Jearlean too

Published: 
Monday, November 20, 2017

Opposition Leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar has warned that the ruling People’s National Government (PNM) is out to get Jearlean John, who is vying for the post of deputy United National Congress leader in the party’s November 26 election.

Speaking to supporters at a cottage meeting in Felicity on Saturday, Persad-Bissessar said everyday the PNM has been threatening to lock up somebody in the UNC and take them to court.

“When they can’t stop us they want to use the law enforcement services to do their dirty job and that is where we are heading, into a dictatorship,” Persad-Bissessar said.

She then waded into Minister of Planning and Development Minister Camille Robinson-Regis for reading out a warrant against Oropouche East MP Dr Roodal Moonilal in Parliament last month.

“When WPC Camille Robinson-Regis could read a police warrant in Parliament…when Stuart Young and Faris (Al-Rawi) say they are carrying out investigations and seizing computers, they do not have those powers.”

She insisted the PNM should not have such powers, since this can be used for political purposes.

“So they want to lock up Moonilal. They want to lock up Tim and they want to lock up me.”

Persad-Bissessar said she had a conversation with someone on Saturday and the person indicated to her that they had spoke with a “high PNM official asking how they feel about Jearlean John and the response from that PNM official was this … well, at first we were a little worried because she is a powerful woman and a hard worker, but you know what? …all we have to do is drop a charge on her.”

Persad-Bissessar urged supporters not to become weak, as the PNM will continue to make up lies and accuse Opposition MPs of corruption and thiefing.

Contacted yesterday, John said she hopes the national community is paying close attention to what is taking place.

John, who was fired as Housing Development Corporation (HDC) managing director on March 2016, has sued the HDC for $17.4 million, citing wrongful dismissal and/or breach of contract of employment.

“I could not have allowed that unjust act to go unchallenged and this matter is making its way to the court. In an effort to discredit me, these folks, who appear to have a dark agenda, took civil action against me in a matter which had been thoroughly scrutinised before the Joint Select Committee of Parliament and investigated for over a period of two years by the Integrity Commission…concluding in the HDC being cleared of any wrong doing.”

The civil case was brought against John and eight other senior HDC executives by Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi.

Last November, John challenged Al-Rawi to bring proof of any wrongdoing under her tenure and to remove the seal on a multi-million dollar corruption lawsuit filed against her.

“I now observed that the people who have decided to be opposed, in a most vile and vicious manner, are now slandering my name as a regular feature on their political platform. I glean this is to embed in the public’s mind a caricature of someone unfit and unsound.”

John said, however, that she has chosen not to respond to their charade.

Minister in the Ministry of Legal Affairs and Attorney General Stuart Young did not respond to a text message on the issue yesterday.