You are here
QPCC calls WICB decision a surprise
Queen’s Park Cricket Club (QPCC) has expressed disappointment with the decision of the WICB to relocate the preliminary round of the regional T20 tournament from the Queen’s Park Oval to the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Grounds in Antigua. In a press statement yesterday QPCC said the decision came as a surprise since negotiations were ongoing with the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board. The WICB earlier this week issued a statement indicating the reasons for the change in venue. These included the cost of rental, reported to be US$100,000, as compared to the Antigua ground, which is Government controlled and therefore ‘cheaper.’ The unavailability of the ground on one day of competition—January 14, 2012, was also an issue. QPCC stated yesterday: “The QPCC has been in discussion with the WICB with regard to the proposed tournament since June, and in November was advised that the TTCB would be hosting the tournament on WICB’s behalf in Trinidad and QPCC must negotiate the rental fees and all other costs with the TTCB.
“Negotiations between the QPCC and TTCB commenced on November 21 and prior to the conclusion, QPCC received a letter from the WICB proposing a rental fee significantly less than that proposed by the TTCB. “QPCC responded indicating that it would be prepared to accept the fee proposed by the TTCB (not the US$100,000 reported). “This was followed by several calls and emails to the WICB over the following days seeking to ascertain the WICB’s position and thus conclude the negotiations. On December 2, without further discussion or communication a letter was received from the WICB stating that the WICB was unable to meet the conditions put forward and therefore will not require the use of the Queen’s Park Oval for the T20 tournament.” QPCC also stated that they were instructed to negotiate the ground rent and other costs with the TTCB. The negotiations were not completed either with the TTCB or the WICB prior to the receipt of the letter from the WICB. The statement said QPCC never advised the WICB that the venue was unavailable on January 14 but indicated that there was a prior booking that had to be accommodated.
User comments posted on this website are the sole views and opinions of the comment writer and are not representative of Guardian Media Limited or its staff. Guardian Media Limited accepts no liability and will not be held accountable for user comments.
Please help us keep out site clean from inappropriate comments by using the flag option.
Guardian Media Limited reserves the right to remove, to edit or to censor any comments. Any content which is considered unsuitable, unlawful or offensive, includes personal details, advertises or promotes products, services or websites or repeats previous comments will be removed.